What is Android? Definition, Features and More – October
Android is the name of an operating system that is used on mobile devices. It is possible to find mobile phones equipped with Android, although some cars, televisions, and other machines also use this software.
- Created by Android Inc., a company acquired by Google in 2005, Android is based on Linux, a free program that, in turn, is based on Unix.
- The initial objective of Android, in this way, was to promote open standards in mobile phones and computers.
- Given a large number of devices equipped with [Android], it is already possible to find more than one million
applications that use this operating system for its operation.
- Android also stands out for its security, as experts have detected few vulnerabilities in its structure.
- It can adapt to multiple screen resolutions and supports WiFi, Bluetooth, LTE, CDMA, GSM /EDGE, HSPA +, and UMTS connections, among others.
It also allows the sending of MMS and SMS messages, has a web browser, enables the development of streaming, and can work with MP3, GIF, JPEG, PNG, BMP, WAV, MIDI, MPEG-4, and other multimedia formats.
Also Read: What is a Tablet? Definition, Features, Benefits and More
What are the main features of Android?
While Android is not the only mobile operating system on the market, since there are also iOS, Symbian, Blackberry OS, and Windows Phone, among others, the truth is that it differs from them because its core is based on Linux, with the consequent advantages of security and stability that this provides.
- This fact allows the system to be safe and stable since the user does not have the necessary permissions to allow the entry of viruses, malware, and other threats to the system, thus achieving a smooth operation.
- While these points are essential, the truth is that Android offers other very interesting features, such as application stores. It should be noted that the official Android store is Google Play.
- However, there are others such as Amazon and F-Droid, although, of course, Google Play is the one that offers the most quantity and quality of applications, most of them completely free.
- In this regard, the large developer community that has the platform allows us to have more than one million apps, among which business applications, games, utilities, and productivity stand out, and as the number of tools grows Day by day. We could ensure that the world of Android apps is infinite.
- Another point in which Android stands out from the products that compete with it in the current market is in the personalization of the device that has it as an operating system.
- It is because Android is an open and flexible platform, allowing a true level of modification and customization, an aspect thought from its origins.
This fact gives both manufacturers and developers and users the possibility to change the appearance or functionalities of their device, to adapt it to their true needs, and perhaps that is where its great success lies mainly.
All the Versions of Android till Date
In life, everything changes and evolves, and logically technology is no exception. Since its first appearance Android has changed, developing more and more advanced versions according to the needs of its users.
If you are interested in seeing its evolution, keep reading here you will see a summary of the different versions of Android until today.
Although many consider that the first [Android] was 1.0; It is known that those specified below already existed during the trial period:
- [Android] 0.5 The Birth
- [Android] 0.5 Milestone 5
- [Android] 0.9 Beta
- [Android] 1.0 to 1.1
- [Android] 1.5. Cupcake
- [Android] 1.6. Donut
- [Android] 2.0 to 2.1. Éclair
- [Android] 2.2. Froyo
- [Android] 2.3. Gingerbread
- [Android] 3.0 to 3.2. Honeycomb
- [Android] 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich
- [Android] 4.1 to 4.3. Jelly bean
- [Android] 4.4. KitKat
- [Android] 5 Lollipop
- [Android] 6. Marshmallow
- [Android] 7 Nougat
- [Android] 8 Oreo
- [Android] 9.0 Pie
- [Android] 10
Also Read: What is Linux? Definition, Uses, Installation Process and More
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
What is CompTIA Project+? – Definition, Oppurtunities, and More
Table of Contents CompTIA Project+ DefinitionHow Suitable is CompTIA Project+ for the IT Career?What are the Educational Requirements?What are the…
What is Data Center Technician? – Definition, Considerations, and More
Table of Contents Data Center Technician DefinitionWhat is the ID of Data Center Technician?What are the considerations of the Data…