There are many reasons why you might want to move emails from an OST file to Office 365 (Microsoft 365). Some of them are:
This article will explain manual and automated methods to move OST emails to Office 365.
Below given are two methods that you can use to move all or selected emails from an OST file to an Office 365 account.
IMPORTANT! This method will only work if Outlook is installed on your PC and connected to an Exchange account. Also, the manual process can take a significant amount of time. You may try a 3rd party OST to PST converter tool to directly export emails from an OST file to Office 365.
The manual method involves two steps:
Step 1: Convert OST File into PST
Step 2: Upload the PST File to Office 365 Account
Let’s discuss these steps in detail:
Convert the OST file, from which you need to move emails, to a PST file by executing these steps:
Note: To prevent duplicate emails from getting exported to a .pst file, ensure that the “Replace duplicate with items imported” checkbox is unchecked.
The items in the Inbox folder will get saved in a new PST file at the specified location.
After converting OST to PST, use Microsoft’s ‘Network Upload Method’ to import the PST file into your Office 365 account. To use this method, do the following:
2. From the ‘Select your data service’ page, click Upload PST files.
3. An ‘Import’ page will appear. You will be unable to proceed with the import process if “Mailbox Import Export” role is not assigned in Exchange Online.
Note: If you’ve already assigned with the ‘Mailbox Import Export’ role, then skip to Step 7.
4. To assign the role, login to Exchange Admin Center (EAC) through outlook.office365.com.
5. From the EAC dashboard, click on Permissions > admin roles.
6. Add a new role group by clicking the “+” This will open a Role Group window. In the window, do the following:
Note: You will have to wait for 24 hours for the action to take place. So, it is recommended that you must assign “Mailbox Import Export Permissions” to your Office 365 account before importing PST files.
7. Once the ‘Mailbox Import Export’ role gets added, click on the New import job button from the Import page.
8. Specify a job name and hit Next.
9. In ‘Do you want to upload or ship your data’, you can see the Upload your data option selected. Click Next.
Note: You can also choose to drive ship the PSTs into O365 to perform the import job. However, you will need administrator privileges and technical expertise to use this method.
10. When the ‘Import data’ screen opens, click the Show network upload SAS URL link.
11. Copy the SAS URL and paste it on notepad.
12. Next, click Download Azure AzCopy. The AzCopy tool is needed to upload the PST files.
Note: You can also import the PST files into Microsoft 365 using PowerShell commands.
13. Download and install Azure Storage Explorer.
14. After completion of the installation process, a ‘Connect to Azure Storage’ dialog box will pop-up.
15. Choose the “Use a connection string or a shared access signature URl” option, and press the Next
16. On ‘Attach with Connection String or SAS URl’, click on the Use a SAS URl option, and then enter the SAS Url you’ve pasted in the notepad.
Refer to the Microsoft documentation for detailed information on using the network upload method to import .pst file into Office 365.
Downside of the Manual Method
While this method works, it has certain downsides:
Using a third-party OST to PST converter tool can help you directly migrate the OST file items to Office 365. Stellar Converter for OST – Technician is an efficient tool that you can use to overcome the downsides associated with the manual method. Here are some benefits of using this tool:
The emails will be imported into your Office 365 account.
There is no straightforward procedure to manually export emails or other items from an OST file to Office 365. You will first need to convert an OST file into PST and then import the converted PST file into O365 using the ‘Network Upload’ method as discussed in this post. However, this can take a lot of time and requires technical expertise. A better alternative is to use Stellar Converter for OST – Technician software that helps move OST to PST converted files directly to Office 365.
Neha Gaurav is a technical consultant. She enjoys writing about MS Outlook tips and tricks to fix errors and repair MS Outlook PST file. In her spare time, Neha likes traveling extensively to learn about new cultures and traditions.
If you don’t manage your attack surface properly, your systems, apps, and networks can be… Read More
Introduction Data has become an integral part of any modern business whether it is tech… Read More
3commas is one of the best cryptocurrency exchange platforms. Use our quick converter and calculator… Read More
There is a rising interest in reliable and secure virtual private network products as additional… Read More